food binging is common among people beginning their Fitspirational Journeys.
A lot of people try to change their diets all at once, and go from eating chips, soda and suge- to full on fruits and vegetables in one day.
A few days of a 360 change in diet will most likely cause mental meltdowns and a sudden craving for your old eating habits.
Here’s some awesome ideas of what to do if you do find yourself food binging:
- Don’t starve yourself. Eat. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but fasting after a binge will only make you severely hungry, which can easily lead to another binge, decimating your self-esteem. When you’re hungry again, eat. If you binged at night, start fresh by giving yourself a healthy breakfast. Stick to clean, whole foods (sugar free if you can) and drink lots of water. Lots of veggies and lean protein works best for me. You can’t change the past, but you can prepare for your present and future by feeding yourself whole, healthy foods to prevent a future binge.
- Forgive yourself. Trying to starve yourself the next day is a sneaky way to try and get away with bingeing, to “make up” for your slip – “I’m going to make up for yesterday by not eating today.” Instead, admit you made a mistake. Forgive yourself. Be very, very kind to yourself: Beating yourself up or criticizing yourself won’t make you change.
- Get back on track as soon as you can. When you slip up with a sugar binge, you usually have terrible sugar cravings for the next 3 or 4 days. If you are trying to get back on track, do what you need to do to support yourself through the sugar cravings.
- When you’re ready, examine what happened. Binges are fabulous learning opportunities. Try and examine what was going on: how were you feeling beforehand? What thoughts were running through your head? What expectations or shoulds ran the show? Write about the event and see if you can make sense of it. This can help you prepare for the next time. Think of how you can support yourself next time so that you can act differently.
- Drink Water! Drinking water is a great way to flush toxins out of your body. Up your water intake and it will also curve your cravings 🙂
I hope this helps, I wish you the very best. Remember, it’s NOT that big of a deal, and tomorrow is a brand new day 🙂
Xox Brittany ❤