Lately I’ve gotten myself into a fabulous flatbread frenzy! After tasting my first flatbread a few weeks ago, I just can’t seem to get enough of them. I LOVE letting my healthy creative mind wonder. Coming up with flatbread toppings is almost as fun as eating the flatbread… almost.
I decided to experiment with spices this week. Oregano, black pepper, Cayenne Pepper and garlic powder seemed like a delicious place to start.
Those spices balanced out with grilled Sun-dried tomatoes, Red peppers, Zucchini slices, garlic coves and Mozzarella cheese ended up being the absolute perfect masterpiece.
Make sure your front door is locked. I guarantee you that your neighbors will smell your delicious flatbread from miles away and come running!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
This deliciously healthy baked creation is undoubtedly going to have you hooked for WEEKS, MONTHS even YEARS! The moment this passes your lips, it will be all you’ll think about. Trees will start to form into zucchinis, your pool will start to appear filled with whole wheat pasta, your toothpaste may appear to be mozzarella flavored.
Yes, it’s that good!
At 2:32am last night, I couldn’t sleep because there were workers outside our house working on an exploded underground pipe. They obviously couldn’t care less if I had a 7am Zumba class this morning, because they couldn’t have possibly been any louder. Since, sleep was not going to happen any time soon, I decided to make the most of this extra God-Given time on these creative hands of mine.
2 veggies, some crumbled up garlic-Parmesan pita chips, a whole lot of cheese and a box of whole wheat pasta later; out came this delicious creation!
- 4 oz whole wheat pasta
- Sliced and chopped zucchini
- Chopped artichoke hearts
- 2 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices of Chipotle cheese (for a spicy finish)
- 2 oz Low-fat Cream Cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tbs whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/3 cup of crumbled Garlic-Parmesan pita chips
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Boil and strain your whole wheat pasta. You want to leave the pasta a bit chewy, because it will soften up in the oven later. No soggy noodles here!
Delicious cheese sauce:
- Heat your butter on low-medium head. Mix in the cream cheese and the flour. Slowly add the milk, followed by your spices and cheese. When it becomes a thick creamy consistency, add your noodles.
- Sautee your sliced and chopped zucchinis with about 1 tsp of oil from the artichoke hearts, as well as a hand full of artichoke hearts. If you don’t have artichoke heart oil, olive oil works as well.
- Add the sauteed veggies to the noodles and cheese sauce
Baking your addicting cheesy dish:
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- In an oven-safe dish, spread your mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle your crumbled pita chips across the top. You can also add some Panko crumbs for a bit more crunch. I also added some more sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top as well.
- Bake for 15-20 mins (until golden brown on top).
Don’t invite anyone over to eat this with you. Devour in 5 minutes flat all by yourself. Don’t share with anyone, trust me it’s too good to share.
Now that my pallet is expanding, I’m tasting/combining ALL kinds of new ingredients! After I fell head-over-heels in love with sweet potatoes, the possibilities that I can make with them seem to be endless.
This is by far my favorite recipe that I’ve created so far, 100% Vegetarian of course 🙂
Since sweet potatoes are PACKED with iron and tons of vitamins, this is a deliciously healthy meal too! I don’t know about you, but guilt-free burgers sound like heaven to me.
- 1 can of white beans (I used cannellini beans)
- 1/2 sweet potato (baked, peeled and mashed) *it comes out to about 1 cup
- 1 Tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 tsp of Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 cup of wheat flour (regular flour can be used as well, however wheat flour is a bit healthier)
- Panko Crumbs
- Whole Wheat Buns
- Bake (or boil) your potatoes. Then peel them and mash them up into a dough-like consistency.
- Drain your cannellini beans, add them to your bowl of sweet potatoes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, excluding the Panko crumbs.
- Form your mixture into patty shapes, and coat in Panko Crumbs.
- Cook your patties in a light coat of olive oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve between your whole wheat buns and add your toppings and dressings of choice!
I used Avocado slices, tomatoes and spinach with home made zesty thousand island dressing.
If you double the recipe, you can pre-prepare enough for the whole week. You know how I love pre-preparing food since I’m so busy. Try it out, it’s an excellent time and money saver!
With the whole grain flat-bread dough, combined with all the delicious veggies on top; this is the perfect healthy go to pizza!
Since the dough isn’t thick, it cuts the calories. I made sure to add an array of my favorite pizza toppings too 🙂
Sauteed Red peppers
Arugula with lemon vinegerette dressing
The flavors go together perfectly, and the flat bread literally melts in your mouth. Delicious summer dinner 🙂
*Note- to make this vegan, just use vegan cheese 🙂
These baby gourmet grilled cheese panini’s will take your breath away. Using your pink panini maker (or which ever color panini maker you own, even though pink is the best color of course) eliminates the time it would normally take to bake them in the oven.
Also, using a panini maker eliminates the need to fry them in a pan. This makes these cute little babies much healthier too.
This took a total of 10 minutes, and was worth every second!
Sauted Portabella Mushrooms
Avocado Feta Spread
Caramalize your onions
Saute the portabella mushrooms in all natural honey (which is a sweet delicous substitute for oil)
Spread the bottom half of the chibatta bread with pesto, and the top half with avocado feta spread. You can use what ever spread or dip you like, i just happened to find the Avocado-pesto spread at the farmers market and fell in love with it.
Layer your cheese, sauted portabella mushrooms and caramalized onlions on the chibatta slices
Toss them in your panini maker, and vuala- you have delicious baby gourmet grilled cheese paninis that will impress all your guests!
I paired my mini panini’s with my 2 minute side italian salad, and a home-made fruit smoothie.
Ps, you can get the recipe for this sensational pineapple strawberry carrot smoothie in the smoothie section of TheFitspirationalBlonde.com 🙂 I guarantee you it will take your tastebuds to wonderland!