I’m so head-over-heels excited- my best friend Allie and I are throwing a “Southern Style Party”.
What is that you ask? Well, we made it up so we’re kind of throwing ideas together as we go along. Let me tell you, we’re having a blast along the way! A few of our close friends are getting together, and it’s going to be pretty fabulous.
My boyfriend Bryan is a true southern boy from North Carolina, so he’s giving us Cali girls some ideas too 🙂
So far, our southern food list includes:
- Steaks marinated in Allie’s Grandma’s Whisky Marinade (for the non-vegetarians of course)
- Scalloped potatoes
- SWEET TEA in mason jars if I can find some (holla if you watch Duck Dynasty!)
- Corn Bread (duh, that’s a must)
- A delicious salad (I don’t think that’s southern… but I have to eat at this thing too… you know me, got to throw some health in there somewhere! There aren’t very many southern vegetarian foods which I learned the hard way when he flew me out to North Carolina to visit his family- they kept wanting to feed me bacon and steak. SO if Bryan touches my salad, I’m making that count as a Southern salad.)
- Grilled Corn (still in the husks)
Not sure what else we’ll come up with, but let me tell you I’ve got my cowgirl boots and country music ready!
Pictures to come after the party tonight 🙂
- Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese (click to see my latest salad creation this was used in!)
- Organic Green Tea Lemonade
- Raw Pecan Halves
- A mango
- A Pear
- Mochi (all natural chocolate ice cream)
- Organic puppy chews for my Yorkie Locket!
- A beautiful batch of yellow daisies
- Aria: protein powder for women (click to see my new review)
- Organic baby spinach
- Can of diced and fire roasted tomatoes
Grand Total = $43.02
Being a college girl on summer vacation, I purchased some items that I wouldn’t usually go for. Since I’m out of college for the summer, I have extra time on my hands. What better way to spend it then in the kitchen discovering new meals I can eat when I go back to college in the fall!
There are going to be some kick-butt salads, smoothies and soups that come out of this trip. Come back and see what my creative mind comes up with this weekend 🙂
You haven’t had a true salad until you’ve tasted this one. I know I know I know what you’re thinking; …garlic and pears??? EW!
WRONG! Think again. The savory flavors of the roasted garlic vinaigrette, go astonishingly well with the sweet Anjou pears.
This salad is quick, fresh and a delight side to any main course, or a perfect lunch all on its own 🙂
Ps oh my gosh you guys, these pictures turned out so great!! I’m getting so much better with my food photography!
At a lovely afternoon adventure at my Godmother’s house, we discovered her 15 new baby chicks! They were SO cute. Bryan and I named this one Pablo. After getting to spend some quality time with Pablo, it breaks my heart to think about all the baby chicks and chickens that are suffering so much at food mills. Kept in tiny cages with no room to fly around and be free. It’s little moments like today with Pablo that remind me why I’ve been a Vegetarian my whole life.
Choose free-range chicken eggs at the store, or even better; buy your food from local farmers markets.
Proud vegetarian for 24 years!!! Pablo power 🙂
With the whole grain flat-bread dough, combined with all the delicious veggies on top; this is the perfect healthy go to pizza!
Since the dough isn’t thick, it cuts the calories. I made sure to add an array of my favorite pizza toppings too 🙂
Sauteed Red peppers
Arugula with lemon vinegerette dressing
The flavors go together perfectly, and the flat bread literally melts in your mouth. Delicious summer dinner 🙂
*Note- to make this vegan, just use vegan cheese 🙂
Guess what guys, there’s hope for your unimaginably small fridge! If you’re like me and your fridge seems to ALWAYS be jam packed with one thing or another, this list will be really helpful. There is no need to take up extra room in there with a food that does just as well left on your counter top.