Lately I’ve gotten myself into a fabulous flatbread frenzy! After tasting my first flatbread a few weeks ago, I just can’t seem to get enough of them. I LOVE letting my healthy creative mind wonder. Coming up with flatbread toppings is almost as fun as eating the flatbread… almost.
I decided to experiment with spices this week. Oregano, black pepper, Cayenne Pepper and garlic powder seemed like a delicious place to start.
Those spices balanced out with grilled Sun-dried tomatoes, Red peppers, Zucchini slices, garlic coves and Mozzarella cheese ended up being the absolute perfect masterpiece.
Make sure your front door is locked. I guarantee you that your neighbors will smell your delicious flatbread from miles away and come running!
After a long day of work, I arrived home and my boyfriend had come over and made me this DELICIOUS and HEALTHY Mexican feast for two!
He home-made those whole wheat tortilla chips, and even made a fruit smoothie to go along with it. The quesadillas are made with whole wheat tortillas and stuffed with avocado and real cheddar cheese. Everyone knows I’m an avocado addict, so I almost passed out when I saw this sitting in the kitchen waiting for me.
Healthy nachos, I think yes!
With the whole grain flat-bread dough, combined with all the delicious veggies on top; this is the perfect healthy go to pizza!
Since the dough isn’t thick, it cuts the calories. I made sure to add an array of my favorite pizza toppings too 🙂
Sauteed Red peppers
Arugula with lemon vinegerette dressing
The flavors go together perfectly, and the flat bread literally melts in your mouth. Delicious summer dinner 🙂
*Note- to make this vegan, just use vegan cheese 🙂
Put some variety in your morning smoothies!
If you switch up your fruits and veggies every morning, your body will get a great weekly variation of nutrients.
Your hair, nails and skin will thank you for it 🙂
As I take more and more steps towards learning to cook, I’m discovering new ways to prepare food! Last month, my wonderful Boyfriend Bryan introduced me to the world of mushrooms and I fell in love.
Sautéing and caramelizing the Portabella mushrooms is by far my favorite way to eat them.
These caramelized baby “Bellas” are perfect to add to any sandwich, pizza or pasta dish!
- Slice up your mushrooms into relatively even slices. Make sure not to slice them too thick (because they take much longer to sauté.)
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil (or any oil of choice, I like olive oil because it’s healthier and more flavorful in the mushrooms.) TIP** Start out with less oil then you think you need. A little oil goes a long way, you can always add more. You’ll look pretty silly soaking up extra oil with a napkin, trying to prevent your mushrooms from getting too soggy. (I did that on my first attempt, and I’ll make a post soon about the do’s and don’ts of sautéing veggies.)
- Add the mushrooms to the warm oil, and flip in about 3-5 mins (when they look golden brown.)
- Drizzle some organic honey over your mushrooms on the last few minutes and let them get sweet and caramelized.
- Set them on a paper towel! I like to get as much oil out of those babies as I can before I eat them.
Put them on a pizza, add them to a summer salad, or even add them to a Fettuccini pasta or your favorite panini sandwich. You can get creative with this too, and add some of your favorite spices to the mushrooms before you take them off the heat. I add a bit of pepper.
These easy little potatoes are SO delicious, and way better for you then french fries!
Baked instead of fried, no grease or oil involved.
- Baby yellow potatoes
- Fresh minces garlic
- Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Cayenne pepper (or spice of choice)
What to do:
- Boil your washed baby potatoes for 5-10 mins (until relatively soft)
- Place baby potatoes on a tin foil covered cooking sheet, and pre-heat oven to 350
- Smash lightly with the bottom of a glass (or a potato smasher if you have one. I didn’t so the bottom of a glass worked great!) Make sure not to smash too hard or they tend to crumble and not look so appetizing.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan and fresh garlic over every baby potato, followed by cayenne pepper
- Bake for 5-10 mins (until golden brown)
So easy, so delicious, and a wonderful snack for in between meals!